So! Mattel. How about that, ya’ll? I have learned several things from my ‘ranting-at-corporate-types-in-the-social-media-age‘ experience.
- A lot of my readers have repressed rage about gender-based toy marketing.
- And they like it when I swear about it.
- That ‘Condescending Wonka‘ meme is probably the best thing on the internet.
- I don’t know what a “lifestyle” blogger is.
- Except that it seems to involve nail polish and exclamation marks.
- It’s a good idea to make friends with people who know how to do internet research better than you do.
- Complain long enough on Twitter and you will get a reply from Large Corporation.
- It will be written by an underpaid intern.
- And it will say “we’re sorry this caused offense”. (I still can’t do screencaps from Twitter. I iz noob.)
- Your response to that little throw-away will be ignored completely.
I’ve never had such a response to a post I’ve written, ever. Even birth announcements haven’t garnered so much feedback. Thank you.
Louis turns three today! He’s been a completely different kid the past couple of weeks. Last week, he went from Monday to Friday without a single potty accident. My rule for Lego play here is age 3 and fully potty trained, and so I’d say he’s made such great strides that he’s met those conditions. Today, he’ll get to play Lego. He’s pretty excited.
Yesterday we did rainbow manicures and they were a HUGE success. All the kids except George and Daisy sat as still as mice for the painting. Today Louis’ older sister insisted that she was coming to my house today instead of day camp, mainly because of the rainbow nail polish. Now, I got my polish for free but it’s cheap stuff – this would cost maybe $5, and bought more amusement and smiles than I would have thought possible. Highly recommend it as a pick-me-up or rainy day activity.
Both Harry and Ron want to play Little League this summer. Um, yay? I guess? They’ll be in different divisions, so we’re staring down the barrel of four nights a week at the ballfield. Needless to say, we won’t be doing swimming lessons or anything else while we’re in Baseball Mode. Michael has declared himself NotACoach this year, which I think is probably sensible – he’s done it for the past two years, so some other parent probably ought to take a turn. We’ll see if that actually happens. I’m skeptical, especially in the ‘tot’ division, where it’s less about coaching and more about herding a couple of dozen twerps armed with bats.
George has become screamy toddler again. We had a few weeks there where he wasn’t screaming all day long over every little thing, and it was nice. Now he’s got a runny nose and we’re back to noisy complaints all the live-long day. It sucks. He’s also not napping worth a damn, which super-sucks. I read an advice column yesterday that talked about the 2-3-4 nap schedule for babies (why have I never heard of it before?)
Basically, you put the baby down two hours after they wake in the morning, for no more than an hour… then three hours after that, you put them down for the afternoon nap, which should last for two hours… then four hours after that is bedtime.
This would not work for George, because our day would look like this:
- wake up at 5AM
- go for a nap at 7AM when everyone else is getting up for the day
- wake up just in time to go to the school bus
- go for another nap right before lunch, ending just as naptime is starting
- go to bed for the night at 5PM
So what I really need is to find something – ANYTHING – about getting George to sleep past 5AM, because that’s really our entire problem right now. If I let him go for a nap mid-morning, he won’t go down in the afternoon at all, and he starts melting down around 4:30 or so. If I don’t let him nap until after lunch, he goes to sleep right away and (until this week anyway) stays down for a couple hours, but he’s a cranky mess from about 10:30 onwards.
It’s especially frustrating because I seem to have figured it out for all the kids in the house that I didn’t give birth to.
It’s 10AM on Tuesday and the kids, after having a good day yesterday, have been non-stop bickering all morning. OH YAY AWESOME. Time for a project!!