Michael’s office Christmas party was on Saturday night. His company’s head office is in Charlottetown, a four-hour drive from here, so they spring for a hotel room and travel costs to encourage the (small) Halifax office staff to attend.
My sister came and stayed with the kids, so we got a night off in a hotel. Good deal.
We dressed up all nice, and I actually did my hair instead of attempting to blow-dry it straight and then cursing the results. We drove up with one of his co-workers – she was born in 1990, people, I have t-shirts older than this girl – and at her suggestion we played “50 Questions to Ask Your Road-Trip Companions”. Brilliant idea and I even learned some things about Michael that I didn’t know.
At the party we started off being all well-behaved and drinking sensible amounts of alcohol, but then the boring speeches started and someone (I think it was me) suggested that shots might be a good idea. So five of us cracked into the tequila, and then Michael won a 40″ TV as a door prize, and the DJ started playing music from the 80s & 90s.
IT WAS ALL OVER FOR ME AT THAT TIME. LOOK AWAY, CHILDREN.
I must tell the internet that my husband can dance, no joke. The man has moves. Also he knows every word to Iggy Azalea’s Fancy, and this is either really strange or the most wonderful gift that 2014 has brought me.
I finally crawled into bed at 4AM, only to wake up a mere 2.5 hours later with the worst hangover of my 30s. If someone had handed me a shotgun, I’d have died with praise for their kindness on my lips. A handful of Advil, a greasy McDonald’s breakfast with the extra hashbrown, and about four million gallons of water later, I started thinking that maybe I would live.
Notable things that happened on our trip:
- I was asked for ID at the liquor store. Hear that, folks? I got carded and I was so pleased I almost took out my phone to record the moment for posterity.
- One of the PEI office staff got inappropriately close to me at the bar. I don’t know quite how a man casually rests his elbow on a strange woman’s breast while ordering two glasses of house white, but there it it.
- Another one of his co-workers is trying to kick a life-long two pack a day smoking habit by using one of those e-vape gizmos. When he first took it out of his pocket, I honestly thought it was a hash pipe. So sheltered, much hermit.
- For the second year in a row, we got tangled up in Charlottetown’s Santa Claus parade while trying to get to the hotel. PEI traffic control personnel, take note! You don’t have to barricade every single cross-street for five blocks around the downtown core. There are better ways to do that.
- Did I mention Michael won a sweet-ass TV? Did I also mention that I, Hannah, woefully-inept installer of technical things, managed to get it up and working properly? Because that’s a thing that happened, too.
All in all it was a fun weekend, although man, am I introverted-out today. Looking forward to tonight when the kids are finally in bed and I can flop.