Small things that make me smile:
- Playing “Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now)” for the dayhome kids, and hearing Louis sing “pajama why” instead of “the jam is live”.
- Making a shepherd’s pie without a recipe, using only my taste memory from when I was a kid, and having it turn out exactly the way I remember it.
- Watching my family all eat the shepherd’s pie with enjoyment, calling it “awesome”.
- Seeing Baby Charlie at the school Xmas concert and having him launch himself at me for a cuddle (and then refusing to go back to his mom for awhile).
- Being able to tell George “go pick out some clothes so we can get dressed” and then he does. AND he dresses himself, only needing a little help with the socks.
- Just Us Coffee’s Holiday Blend with eggnog instead of milk (not sponsored, I just really, really like it).
- Realizing that Black Friday / Cyber Monday / We Really Mean It This Time Tuesday is finally over for another year and the utter flood of spam to my inbox will slow down a bit.
- Watching Louis and George happily playing “dads & babies”, which involves stuffing dolls under their shirts and “popping them out” over and over again.
- Discovering that I still know every word to Young MC’s Bust A Move.
- Finding Xmas jammies in the boys’ sizes – even Harry! – for $10 a pair.
- Live-tweeting during The Mindy Project with my friend Sue. I love being able to share my current obsession with someone.
- George asking me “Does Santa dress up for Halloween?” (I don’t know! Does he?)
- The way my gray-furred arthritic old dog perks up and jumps around at the bus stop every morning when the neighbour’s dog arrives.
- A faraway friend spent time finding George’s impossible Xmas wish – a t-shirt with all five Guardians of the Galaxy on it. Santas need elves, yo.
- The Trans-Siberian Orchestra’s entire library of Xmas music.
What small joys make your day better?